Tuesday 12 June 2012

Golden Nuggets - Fool's Gold? NAu, That's for Pyrites.

I'm aware that this is a rather disappointing title for the first review on Confessions of a Cereal Killer, but I plan to work on that over time. I'd like to hope that the content of my articles will shine through though, and I hope you find this to be a fair and informative review of the breakfast cereal, Golden Nuggets.



The title of this article also avoids giving the reader an initial indication of what I think of the cereal. Rather, it merely acts to expose my evangelical zeal to create a pun, regardless of whether it makes sense. You see, the "Au" in "Nau" which is meant to sound like "Naw" - a Scottish colloquialism for "no" - is the symbol for the element gold. Pyrite (or, more specifically, iron pyrite) is the correct term for fool's gold and was intended to sound like "pirate" in this instance. But Klondike Pete has no time for pirates, no sir, he detests them. What he does have time for is providing one of the world's tastiest cereals.   


Golden Nuggets: They're Heeeee Haaaaaw

I was under the impression Golden Nuggets only came into existence in the 90s/early 00s, but it turns out they were a popular breakfast cereal in the 1970s.  There was a ~20 year gap of them being off the shelves however, and their reintroduction to the UK market in 1999 was backed by a wistful marketing campaign.  Like when Wispas came back and everyone was all: "oh man!  Wispas are back!" but then remembered that Wispas are just a rubbish version of the Aero.  EXCEPT GOLDEN NUGGETS ARE ACE. 



Taste: Golden Nuggets taste very good.  In a day and age where cereals have to watch out how much sugar they put in and their nutritional integrity, Golden Nuggets retain that classic honey cereal goodness.  9/10

Milk flavour: My favourite milk flavour around.  Tastes like a honey milkshake.  Delightful.  10/10

Texture: Initally a bit too crunchy for my liking, but once submerged in milk it only takes 30 seconds for them to lose that edge.  The texture is at an optimum around 4-6 minutes where you get that wonderful sensation of soft on the outside with a crunchy core.  Beyond that, you lose the crunchiness.  Watch out though as Golden Nuggets are notorious for containing heinous burnt sugar balls.  I don't know how they come about, but in every bag, you get at least one nugget that is darker in colour and harder than granite.  Not good for your teeth, but easily avoided with the correct precautions.  6/10

Packaging: I nice shade of blue contrasted with Klondike Pete's giant golden beard.  Pardner could arguably be more in the forefront.  You usually get puzzles and games for kids on the back too.  Bonus.  8/10

Relevancy of Mascot: Klondike Pete is a stereotypical 19th century Californian prospector, in search of gold.  Mules and Donkeys were heavily used as caravans for the prospectors during the Gold Rush.  Need I elaborate?  10/10

Potential: I must admit, I haven't experimented much with Golden Nuggets.  I have mixed them with the likes of Alpen, Dorset Cereal and Shreddies.  I've even put them on a bed of Shredded Wheat, however I find honey flavoured cereal to be better on its own.  Other cereals only take away from the greatness of Golden Nuggets, however.  Unfortunately I have to mark them down here.  5/10

Overall: 8/10

Unfortunately, Klondike Pete and the gang have been let down by the cereals lack of versatility and the danger of breaking your teeth.  Take these factors away and you're looking at one of the best breakfast cereals about. 

3 comments:

  1. I would like to disagree.... Whispas are not the rubbish version of Aeros, they are for the sophisticated palate - in terms of chocolate flavour far superior, however I would like to commend Aero on the size of their bubbles... after all size is important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wispa comment has caused much controversy.

      Delete
  2. Sorry Dallas but these are a poor man's Corn Pops and everyone knows it. They're too soft as well. Bring back Corn Pops and let this foul entity vanish from the UK's shelves forever.

    ReplyDelete